Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

My boss is retiring next month, my name is ***** *****

Customer Question

My boss is retiring next month, my name is ***** ***** as his replacement. I am a white male that has been with my company for 18 years and have a clean record. I have 2 black female coworkers that since my bosses retirement announcement, 1 has found ways to argue with me and the other has reported me for harassment over something she said someone told her. She won't tell me what was said and refuses to speak to me. The day in questions that I supposedly said this was a day I was working in an office all by myself for most the day. Over the past week all of a sudden I have 2 cases brought up against me that will most likely keep me from getting my promotion due to the fact these I now have completely bogus marks on my record. What, if anything can I do??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. I would consider a pocket tape recorder for you in the future. These folks appear to be out to get you, having a record here in the future at least protects you in such a situation.You also should consider a written response to the complaints submitted to your hr here.This would set out your version of events and make a permanent record in the event somebody looks at this down the road.It is in your interest to respond to hr and set out that no discrimination took place and that you take great pride in treating all fairly, etc.You are defending yourself and a tape recording protects you in the future if you must be alone with these people.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
Overall limiting solo contacts is imperative to your job well being.I see this time and again that people try and frame managers and you can not only be denied promotions but terminated on these kinds of events.You either need to record them or avoid them without a third party witness. I think you may still get that promotion.These are unfounded events, you have set out your side of them, it is discrimination to deny you a promotion.You in turn can file EEOC claiming age discrimination if you are passed over.If you over age 40 here you qualify for age protection.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
If you are denied promotion file here with EEOC https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
Age Discrimination & Work SituationsThe law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.Age Discrimination & HarassmentIt is unlawful to harass a person because of his or her age.Harassment can include, for example, offensive remarks about a person's age. Although the law doesn't prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that aren't very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent orsevere that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer. You could also include some of the complainers if you feel they discrimnaed against you based on age.You too have rights under the law here.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
I am so sorry you have been treated this way.I hope you consider a complaint yourself if you are denied this promotion.Thanks again.