Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney

Recently my employer paid raises and bonuses of which I was

Customer Question

Recently my employer paid raises and bonuses of which I was excluded from and the manager had the nerve to say to me that "the company performed poorly and did not pay out bonuses or raises. I have multiple problems with this company, my question is do I have a legal basis on this issue?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.Unfortunately, generally, raises and bonuses are always done at the employer's discretion (unless written contract exist between the employee and employer stating otherwise, so unless, the employee has solid evidence that he/she was passed on for raises or bonuses based on some type of illegal discrimination, such as race, religion, ethnicity, etc...I am afraid there would generally not be any type of legal recourse in similar situation.I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I happen to be a minority as well and have worked with 100% white people the entire time.
Thank you for your follow up.Do you have any actual evidence that you have been discriminated against based on being a member of a minority?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was pretty much singled out from the rest of the group, and my work constantly criticized and demeaned whereas other members are treated with kid gloves. My manager does not meet with me but gives me poor perfomance year after year, and not to brag I happen to be pretty knowlegeable in my field.
Thank you for your follow up.Unfortunately, circumstantial evidence would generally not be sufficient to pursue a claim against employer based on illegal discrimination, however, direct evident, such a racial slurs, discriminatory comments or insults would generally be sufficient to establish prima facie case for illegal employment discrimination.I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.