Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I was terminated 5-2-2016. I turn 65 9-1-2016. I do not have

Customer Question

I was terminated 5-2-2016. I turn 65 9-1-2016. I do not have any bad reviews. I do not have any reprimands verbal or written. I was making $110,000 yr. They offered me a temporary job until September 1 2016 at a reduced salary of $80,000 per year. The tasks included several of the things I was doing and 1-2 weeks of transitioning my job to a younger person with less salary. Does it sound like I have something to discuss with a lawyer?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. If you're an at-will employee (meaning that you don't have a contract for a certain term), an employer can terminate you for any reason or for no reason at all SO LONG AS it is not discriminatory based on race, sex, age, disability or religion. However, if you believe you're being terminated because of one of these factors, you would have a right to complain. The first thing you'd do is file a complaint with the EEOC. You can usually do this online or contact your local EEOC field office and discuss the situation with an investigator. They can assist you will getting your complaint filed against the employer. After the administrative proceeding begins, you and the employer will try to mediate or resolve the matter.....if you can't, the EEOC will issue you a "Right to Sue" letter, which basically says it finds merit in your claims and that you should consult a lawyer to pursue a claim against your employer. But, if no merit is found, then the EEOC will not issue such a letter.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Here's a link that outlines how to file a formal complaint: https://www.eeoc.gov/federal/fed_employees/filing_complaint.cfm
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Roger, The answer I received from you was things I already knew. No it wasn't very helpful this timeMike
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
I obviously have no idea what you do or do not know....but your question was whether you have a case --- and I answered that with the appropriate information. If you already knew what to do and how to proceed, did I misunderstand your question?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
These are things I already knew thank you
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.
No problem and good luck wit this. Please let me know if you need anything else.