Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

I have two weeks paid vacation this year and I am only using

Customer Question

I have two weeks paid vacation this year and I am only using one week and working the other. I asked my boss for both weeks vacation pay and he told me if I dont take the second week of vacation off he will not pay me for it. Ive earned this time and it is my money. Is it legal what he is trying to do? Thank you karen cairella
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. As you may know by having spoken to the CT DOL, an employer in CT is under no duty to offer vacations paid or unpaid to their employees. (you can see the official statement of the DOL at the following link: Because of that, an employer is allowed to administer any fringe benefits they offer, including paid vacation, in the manner they choose. The only exception is that the employer cannot violate a bargaining agreement or term contract in their administration and cannot single out a particular worker or set of workers for more adverse treatment on the basis of their gender, race, national origin, age (over 40), disability, religion, pregnancy, or military service. Otherwise, an employer is allowed to put any restriction they want on the use of vacation and how it is paid out. They can, and most often do, limit any payout to when the employee actually takes the days off and will not pay out when the employee leaves employment or any other time. So, again, as long as the situation doesn't fall within the exceptions I mentioned in the first paragraph, the employer can limit payout in the manner you described. That doesn't make it necessarily a good management decision, but it is legal and it also is fairly standard practice. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating of my efforts to explain the law to you, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 6th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: you.