Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I work township government office in Illinois. I was

Customer Question

I work for a township government office in Illinois. I was hired a couple of months ago to work part-time, at 30 to 32 hours per week, replacing a retiring employee who had been full-time for more than 20 years. Shortly after I was hired, and upon review of the township's written policy, I read that every employee of the township working more than 20 hours per week is eligible for the employer sponsored health/dental/life insurance benefit. I asked about enrolling in the program. Soon after, the township board voted to change its personnel policies specifically to deny me eligibility for insurance benefits--the same benefits that every other employee of the township currently has. It seems unfair, but I'm not sure that their action is in violation of any laws. Do I have a case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 months ago.
Hello​This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
​So is this change made Retro active ? If yes, to what date - Your date of hire?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. It's effective as of the date it was adopted by the Board, just this week.
Thank you. Then it should not affect any hires before the date of adoption. And that means if you were hired before that date, you should not be included. You see, they cannot make such a policy retroactive to target one specific employee as that would be discrimination.
Are you certain that you no longer are entitled to those benefits?
You should not be precluded from the enrollment. And if you are, then I suggest you consider consulting with a local attorney to discuss this - because it should only go forward from the date of adoption for future hires.