Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

My employer has agreed to give me 2 years backpay. However,

Customer Question

My employer has agreed to give me 2 years backpay. However, they want me to sign that I will not file any lawsuit against them. The only thing is althought they have addressed the wages discrimination, they still discriminate on a daily basis by refusing to train me to do my job while training a co worker to excel. Regarding the wage discrimination, it took them 3 years to increase my pay. The coworkers pay was increased within 8 months of their employment. Within the next 8 month they are to train everyone but I will be at a disadvantage.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. You can only waive the right to sue for things which have already happened. So, prior wage issues and prior acts of discrimination would be waived legally, and they are allowed to ask that. However, any future acts of discrimination would not be waived. Our laws don't allow a blanket waiver of future suits, because to waive you have to do so knowingly and you can only knowingly waive things from the past. So, you could sign this document and, if the discriminatory acts continued, still sue for future issues. You just couldn't reach back beyond the date of the document to show additional issues of discrimination. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.