Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I am a Director of External Affairs at an online public charter

Customer Question

I am a Director of External Affairs at an online public charter school. I was told last month in a management meeting that I would be receiving a 15% bonus at the end of my contract. Yesterday, I received an email from the CEO that the school would not be renewing my contract (no reason was given), but no mention of the bonus. Am I still entitled to receive the bonus? I was never written up or reprimanded for my work; in fact, it was quite the opposite. I worked very hard this year, 60+ hours and took little or no time off and was repeatedly told by staff and my peers how much they appreciated and valued my work. The decision to terminate my contract came out of left field which leads me to believe it may have been a budgetary decision on their part. Nonetheless, I'd like to know if I can ask for the bonus. Thank you. Deborah
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. You could certainly argue that this is a non-discretionary bonus and must be paid. The challenge will be one of proof. If you were only told about the bonus verbally during a meeting, it may be difficult to establish what was said. Your employer may try to argue that the bonus was always discretionary, or that they never promised anything at all. There is no harm in pursuing the claim, though. You would simply file a wage claim with the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement, which you can do here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.
Was I able to answer your question here? Please let me know.....