LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30 years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.

Regarding the penalty, if we settle and pay this penalty, is

Customer Question

Regarding the penalty, if we settle and pay this penalty, is it paid as a regular paycheck with employee taxes withheld or as 1089?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon Val,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If you pay a penalty in addition to the wages that are allegedly owed, the wages would be subject to withholding and would be reported on a W-2 form. However, the penalty would be reported on a 1099 MISC. Likewise, if you pay any attorney fees of the employee, those would be reported on a 1099 MISC as well. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug