LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30 years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I am about to be -off at the end of May. However, my employer

Customer Question

I am about to be laid-off at the end of May. However, my employer would like to contract my services out, part-time for the near future. He would like to do that by contract. His other suggestion is that I should I start my own consulting business, he would contract me for so many hours a month (but far less than I typically work now). How would either of these scenarios affect my Washington State unemployment compensation?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.
Good morning,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Unless this consulting self employment career is something that you are truly interested in pursuing for the long term, then you are probably wasting your time setting it up just to help your employer out because it will interfere with your unemployment qualification. However, if you do want to do this, then wait to set the business up until AFTER you are let go and have applied for unemployment benefits, and then apply to the WA SEAP program. The Self Employment Assistance Program will help you get your business growing while you are collecting unemployment benefits. However, you will be obligated to jump through a lot of hoops to remain in the program. Here is a link to a description of the program: https://www.esd.wa.gov/jobs-and-training/self-employment-assistance-program If you simply choose to work part time for your employer, then your unemployment benefits will be reduced by 75% of the money that you earn from the part time work. So for every $100 you earn from working part time for your boss, your employment benefits will be decreased by $75 for the month. In other words, even if you are charging your boss $30 an hour for your contract work, your net income is only going to be $7.50 an hour because of the reduction in your unemployment benefits. You might consider just staying out on unemployment and looking for a new full time job if you are not prepared for the difficult and lengthy road of starting your own consulting business. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug