Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I worked company and my manager was verbally abusive

Customer Question

I worked for a company and my manager was verbally abusive almost fro day one of my employment. Je stated that financial people are just number counters and don't mean anything in the world of business but he puts up with us because the government says he has too. In addition he was very un reasonable with his work requests in regards ***** ***** he wanted me to do. He asked me to re work the entire accounting system in 2 days over a weekend. I said I needed at least 2 weeks and he said that was too long. I said that was the best I could do and he said not good enough, why should I keep you on. He told me to get my head out of my ass and called me an asshole prick un worthy of 2 weeks. It was then I politely quit. My question is am I entitled to the 4 days of work I performed that week? If so what statue or law entitles me to those funds.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Are you a salaried or hourly employee? When you refer to "the four days of work" you performed that week, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean the four days preceding your resignation in which you performed work for your employer? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
salary employee....I did not work Monday 4/18 but I did work 4/19 4/20 4/21 and 4/22 and worked full days....I was in the office working before my scheduled start time of 7am on all days and left well after by scheduled time of 4pm on all days....I resigned on Friday 4/22 at 645 pm....
Thank you. The rule for salaried employees is that the employer can deduct a pro rata amount of a salaried employee's pay for any workday in which the employee performs NO amount of work. Employers may also pro rate the employee's pay when they leave the company for the days of the pay period that the employee does not work. So, for example, let's say an employee quits with 5 days remaining in a ten day pay period. The employer could pay 50% of the employee's regular salary. And if the employee performed NO work on one day during their last week, still using the above example, the employer could pay only 40% of the employee's regular salary. The employer must, however, pay for the days that the employee performed any amount of work. By quitting the employee does not somehow forfeit their entitlement to compensation for the days they actually worked. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.