Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

My employer is asking me to sign a Confidentiality,

Customer Question

My employer is asking me to sign a Confidentiality, Non-solicitation, Non-Competition agreement in exchange for receiving a signing bonus. The part that makes me worried is that "During employees employment with the company and for 6 months after termination of employment with the company for any reason, Employee shall not directly or indirectly compete with the business of the company or it successors or assigns within 100 mile of any company sites." So if I get fired or laid off they can keep me from working in the only industry that I have ever worked?Let me know.
Thanks
Pat
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Please be patient when waiting for a response. I may be looking something up, typing the response, or busy with something else and sometimes it takes a while to respond. Yes, that is absolutely correct. However, some states limit their non-compete agreements and at least one other, CA, prohibits them completely. So, if you were to move to California the non-compete agreement is unenforceable there.In addition, CO has some limits to their non-compete agreements. Due to the restrictions on the website we're not allowed to review and interpret contracts/agreements but I'm going to give you a link to a website that has a goo article on the CO non-compete agreements and the restrictions and then you can ask follow ups after you read that, understanding our limits. you're probably not going to need to because the article is pretty easy to understand and explains the law pretty carefully.http://www.colo-law.com/Articles/When-is-a-non-compete-agreement-enforceable-in-Colorado.shtml