Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I am 59 years old and recently received a general release agreement

Customer Question

I am 59 years old and recently received a general release agreement offer from my previous employer. It contains language strongly encouraging employee to seek independent legal counsel to advise regarding employee rights and obligations. I have no known issues with the employer. Is this something I should have an attorney take a look at?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 7 months ago.
Yes, to be safe you should have an attorney take a look at the contract to protect your rights. Typically the employers seeks a broad release and you want to ensure that you are being compensated consistent with the value of the release being sought.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Who should I contact and what would be a reasonable cost for review of a review of a basic 5-page agreement, assuming no issues.
A local plaintiff's employment lawyer. Here is a link to Texas attorneys: https://www.mytela.org/TE/index.cfm?event=showAppPage&pg=members&membersAction=membersSearchResults&configid=157&showfullpage=1 The cost should be no more than $175. Perhaps get a free consultation first and you may not need to retain the attorney.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that i may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.