Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

If I might be terminated due to false accusations do I have

Customer Question

If I might be terminated due to false accusations do I have the right to have an attorney present at the HR meetings?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And state I will not meet with HR until my attorney can be present?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Unless you have a contract, or a written company policy, that gives employees the right to legal representation in administrative personnel issues, your employer would not have to allow any representative, including an attorney, into your meeting with them. They might agree, but they wouldn't be required to by law. In addition, if you are an "at will" employee, then making demands on the employer, especially an "or else" demand, might not result positively for you. In other words, since an "at will" employee (again I can't say if you are but most employees in Alaska are unless they have a term contract or other contract that states otherwise), can be terminated for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning. Therefore, making demands on the employer could backfire, but you can certainly ask if it is possible. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 2nd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/Thank you.