Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I have been employed years ( 17 years with the same

Customer Question

I have been employed for 23 years ( 17 years with the same company with the last fiver years in NJ and before living in MI, OH and Chicago) and paying taxes on my income. My company was was recently purchased and my job eliminated. I am in a specialized field and not having any luck with finding a job. I have been unemployed for 6 months and have been told that my unemployment as run out and I can't get an extension. How is this possible? I have been paying into the system for 23 years!!!I was told that I need to apply for welfare and am scared that I will not get accepted. I live with my girlfriend, and she has the mortgage in her name. She is now forced to pay all the bills and its expensive.. Will this hurt me in getting welfare and will I be allotted some money to help her pay bills? I also have a car payment and other expenses. I want to work but its soo hard finding a job. Please advise on 1. Advise on getting cut off for unemployment 2. will living with my girlfriend hurt me from getting welfare assitance.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. Unfortunately, unemployment benefits are not based on how long you have worked. If you had not left employment in the proper way (for instance, if you had just resigned), you would not have been eligible for any benefits. All unemployment is concerned with is your base period of employment (about a year before you separated) and that is only used to determine eligibility and the rate of pay. 1. Unfortunately, there is no advice to give here. Legally, states set their period of unemployment. It is almost universally 6 months. A few years ago, the federal government extended that to a year and some received up to 18 months, but that program is not in place any more. Regrettably, there is simply nothing to be done here. 6 months is your state's maximum period of unemployment under their state law. 2. That will depend on whether or not the state considers you as sharing expenses. Certainly, if you are living with her, that will reduce your overall expenses and welfare will take that into consideration when figuring out what your expense ratio is. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.