Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I have been fired unjustly and never was told why. This was

Customer Question

I have been fired unjustly and never was told why. This was done in 5 minutes and was told to get any personal items and leave. Wrote them letter asking for specific reasons. have not heard anything and probably never will. Job was a Site Mgr. for a management company in NY state.
JA: Got it. The Employment Lawyer will know how to help you. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. how does one find an Employment Lawyer? I have an attorney but just a generalist in a small town.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Employment Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Employment Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: All was well. Attended day long meeting in Buffalo on 4/21/16 (My site is in Rochester NY). We had computer problems and we were putting in camera lines at the site in the days following. My supervisor knew we couldn't get as much work done. On the 4/25/16 I could only work an hour because of work in office(supervisor knew this) . On Tues. 4/26/16 I worked as usual since the workmen weren't coming back until Wed 4/27/16. I planned to be at office late because I scheduled a computer hr. tutoring which my supervisor had encouraged. I arrive at work on Weds. 4/27/16 and 1. I'm told I'm late 2. I'm told that a resident wrote a letter saying things about me and he believed her. I was not allowed to see the letter and he would not read it to me 3. he told me I allowed a dog into the project without his approval although it was registered service dog which under the Disabilities Act I have to take and told him I didn't think it was urgent since at the seminar on Thurs. it was hammered by our speaker and lawyer that this was law. My supervisor would not discuss or inform me of anything. I was fired within 5-10 minutes and asked to leave, which I did.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. You may consider filing with EEOC if you think there was discrimination involved.If you are more than 40 years old here there may be age discrimination.Often they will tell you one thing but the reality is they want to replace you with a younger and cheaper employee.There may be other categories here, sex, or race are other possibilities. You are an at will employee but they cannot discriminate and this would protect you and give you a case for wrongful termination.You file with EEOC here and consider a local employment lawyer to sue the employer. This would also help you with UI benefits when you file. EEOC here https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm If you believe that you have been discriminated against at work because of your race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information, youcan file a Charge of Discrimination. All of the laws enforced by EEOC, except for the Equal Pay Act, require you to file a Charge of Discrimination with us before you can file a job discrimination lawsuit against your employer. In addition, an individual, organization, or agency may file a charge on behalf of another person in order to protect theaggrieved person's identity. There are time limits for filing a charge. Employment lawyer here http://www.lawyers.com/labor-and-employment/new-york/find-law-firms-by-city/ I hope you will pursue this through the courts.I am so sorry you were treated this way.You may sue the employer and seek recovery for all your losses and reinstatement.
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.
See if you fall under age here, over 40. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects individuals who are 40 years of age or older from employment discrimination based on age.The ADEA's protections apply to both employees and job applicants. Under the ADEA, it is unlawful to discriminate against a person because of his/her age with respect to any term, condition, or privilege of employment, including hiring, firing,promotion, layoff, compensation, benefits, job assignments, and training. The ADEA permits employers to favor older workers based on age even when doing so adversely affects a younger worker who is 40 or older.It is also unlawful to retaliate against an individual for opposing employment practices that discriminate based on age or for filing an age discrimination charge, testifying, or participating in any way in an investigation, proceeding, orlitigation under the ADEA.The ADEA applies to employers with 20 or more employees, including state and local governments. It also applies to employment agencies and labor organizations, as well as to the federal government.
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.
NY wrongful termination law http://www.wrongfulterminationlaws.com/resources/wrongful-termination-law/state-job-termination-laws/new-york.htm
Expert:  Ray replied 8 months ago.
Thanks again.