LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

Recently I discovered that a former employee of my practice,

Customer Question

Recently I discovered that a former employee of my practice, now working for another practice, has taken all the names and addresses of my patients. They have used this information to send a solicitation mailer to my patients. I'm not too concerned about losing patients but do I need to report this to HHS and send a letter about the HIPPA violation to patients? While I doubt other private information was taken, I don't know that for sure.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, you should. You want to take the necessary steps to protect your own interest and that of your office, in the event that your patients come back and ask how their information was obtained, if you were selling it and disclosing it and if there is any affiliation with this other person or their office. It is better to be safe then sorry and any time information is stolen it should be reported so there is documentation of it. Moreover, you may want to go after and sue this person for stealing your clients so you want it on record. I personally recall getting a letter a few months ago as a result of the sign in book being taken from my doctors office. Although it only has my name and insurance company they still received notice advising of the missing item and that my information may have been contained within.
Once it is filed it is at the discretion of HHS to take action but you would have covered yourself
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!