1) I worked ENTIRELY in TX until Jul/2015, and moved to IL, and received UNEMPLOYMENT
from 09/2015 until 12/2015.
2) I flew to IL twice for a doctor visit.
3) I made 4 donations to charitable organizations, including:
(a) 1 to the Salvation Army on Sep/2015 for about $600
(b) 1 to the Salvation Army on Dec/2015 for about $205
4) I cannot determine how he arrived at the value of the
medical expenses that he states I paid for (it is about $900 less than
I actually paid, i.e., the cost of the trips to the doctors and out-of-pocket
medical insurance for "Cobra
I provided my accountant with ALL of my receipts information, and he filed my taxes electronically, asking me to sign ELECTRONICALLY on his PC.
Upon reviewing the printout about a week later, for another purpose, I discovered that he had:
a) OMITTED the items 2, 3(b), and 4
b) Although I had worked in TX throughout and then moved to IL and received the rest of my income while living in IL (after having lived outside IL for 2 years), he did NOT file an IL tax return on my behalf.
1. How do I proceed to get the accountant to fix their mistake? (On their contract they claim that to have a "100% guarantee... and will pay for any penalties or interest due to their error")
2. Regarding their NOT having filed an IL return, my understanding was that, since I moved back to IL and earned income as an IL resident, it was taxable to IL, but they said it was not, because it was unemployment income being sent from the state of TX.
How do I proceed? I do not wish to receive penalties from IL for their errors (i.e., NOT having filed an IL 1040-NR).