Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.

I'm currently employed by a school district. I have been in

Customer Question

I'm currently employed by a school district. I have been in a Business Manager's position for the past 6 years and doing the job as a business manager and not being paid for it. All the other school's pay their business manager accordingly.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. When you say "not being paid for it," what do you mean? Do you mean: 1) You feel you are UNDERpaid?2) You have not been paid for hours you have worked?3) You are being underpaid due to discrimination (race, religion, etc)? Finally, do you have a contract that guarantees a certain rate of pay? If so, is the district NOT FOLLOWING it? This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I feel I'm being under paid. I'm being paid as. Secretary. There is no contract.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.
There is no mandate that the employer must pay you a certain amount. So payments from one employer can and often do differ to payments from another employer for the SAME position.
Since there is no contract, there is no mandate that they need to pay a certain wage amount. You are free to ask for a raise, but this would be at their discretion. There is no mandatory wage for positions besides the MINIMUM WAGE standard via federal/state law. I am sorry.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!