Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

My ltd insurance company can not provide me with a copy of

Customer Question

my ltd insurance company can not provide me with a copy of my policy.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 7 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Has Liberty Mutual given you a reason as to why they cannot or will not provide you with a copy of your policy? I look forward to hearing back from you and helping out. Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am legally blind due to Optic Neuritis which is a complication due to my affliction with Multiple Sclerosis.Liberty Mutual claims that they do not have the original policy or a copy of the policy and therefore cannot send me a copy.I just spent an entire hour writing you a lengthly discussion regarding some of the details pertinent to my appeal against Liberty, only to lose all the info I wrote due to "operator error" because of my physical disabilities. Very disappointing and frustrating!We should consider at least one phone conversation so that I can explain the entire case in detail to you.Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to working with you in the near future.Sincerely,Fred N. Haberstroh
First off, I apologize for the length of time it took me to respond. I have been away from the computer for a while. Second, I am sorry you are having to deal with this issue. To the point of the question, Liberty Mutual has to have a copy of your past policies and it appears as though you are dealing with someone that is simply being lazy. I would do the following:1. Place them on legal notice by sending them a certified letter with a return receipt in which you explain who you are and the issue. Request the policy and state if you do not receive it within 7 business days of the post mark on your letter, you will seek legal remedy; and2. If they do not provide this information within the stated amount of time, you need to contact the Department of Insurance in your state and file a complaint. As a part of that complaint, you can attach your demand letter to illustrate your good faith and to show Liberty's bad faith here. The Department should be able to apply pressure. If neither of those steps work, you may have to file suit against Liberty for Insurance Bad Faith and breach of fiduciary duty for their actions, and in-actions. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Best wishes going forward!