Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I cosmetology school & I have not gotten paid

Customer Question

I for a cosmetology school & I have not gotten paid for my last pay period.. I was giving a paycheck but told by the owner it's no good don't deposit because there's no money in there. She's been late several times with my pay before, but never this long. Its almost two weeks. She keep hiring other people, but on pay day says she's broke. She get finacial aid & loans from the government and are defrauding them also.. Last week I was informed by her that I'm the only employee that can not leave for lunch because she needs me on the clinic floor.. Plus I'm am unable to take any other breaks.. I do not want to continue today work for her but I have no other income to even go look for a job.. She's been hanging my check over my head and promising to pay just to get me to come in. Because she knows my husband is off work & we have no other income. In not from Georgia I just moved here. Therefore I don't know the laws.. I was told by her that because I'm on salary I could not get umempoyment if I left. Two months ago she said this I filled out the she have & requested to w2 instead. She refuses to chain it. We are forced to pray every morning at 9 weather we want to or not.. As you can see I have several issuses this has been a night mare ... Please help of you can..
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 months ago.
Good morning.
Let me point out a few points for you to consider.
If not being paid you can pursue a claim against employer by suing, by labor board complaint and by lawyer reaching out locally. If you leave because not being paid you can apply and get unemployment since the non payment amounts to terminations. The legal term for it is constructive termination.
Kindly let me know if that is fast and clear.
and if I can clarify anything, of course, ask me.
awaiting your reply, thanks.
Kindly click on a positive rating, thank you