Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator

I am a professional and was physically threatened at my office

Customer Question

I am a professional and was physically threatened at my office by a dept head with witnesses
JA: Dealing with bullying can be complicated. Fortunately, it falls under education law, so the attorneys we work with can certainly help, and I'd like to match you with the one who's the best fit. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I did a deal and the department head felt I slighted his dept so he slammed his fists on the desk and asked me to go outside so he could kick my ass
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: he has a history of bully tactics and I am one of few who wont put up with it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. You have two tracks here to take, that can be utilized in simultaneous fashion:(1) You need to report this to your boss (whomever that may be) and relay in no uncertain terms that you fear for your safety and that this cannot and should not be tolerated. Note that in some cases, individuals are concerned to report this for fear of retribution, retaliation or being terminated. If you are terminated for reporting this type of behavior, then you will have very viable law suit against your employer. You need to exhaust the administrative remedies here, and that includes filing a written complaint with your boss or supervisor as to this incident.(2) You need to file a police report for assault/threats to safety and well being. Assault does not necessarily mean that you were touch, it means that you were threatened and that the person has the means to follow through with the threat. The police can investigate and charge this individual. If he is indicted, which should be the case with witness support, then he will likely be suspended and/or terminated from employment - the later being the right outcome here. By filing a police report, you place a burden on the administration to follow through on your complaint with them as well. You have to address issues like this one head on. If not addressed, they will get worse. By reporting to the authorities (your supervisor and the police) you necessarily place the burden on someone else to handle the situation. If they do not, it gives other avenues of legal recourse for you down the line. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) on the ratings interface on your end. Best wishes going forward!
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
Just checking to see if you have any additional questions or comments. I want to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward with this issue. Thanks