Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I filled an age discrimination charge against my former employer

Customer Question

I filled an age discrimination charge against my former employer with the EEOC. I have been offered the option of mediation and am not sure what to do.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. I would consider accepting the offer to mediate.This usually involves an offer to compensate you here as well as other changes to deal with your complaint and employer problems.You are not bound by mediation.There is a mediator, generally this consists of you making a presentation about your complaint and what you feel is fair resolution and then they respond and present. The variation here is that sometimes this is all in one room, sometimes mediator will separate parties and hear from each side and then propose a solution and give feedback about the strength of the case and any shortcomings.It is a great way to get a third party and feedback as well.You then have an idea off how say a judge would rule as far as compensation and any flaws as well. In general this is a cheaper, quicker way to resolve and get both compensation and changes you seek from the employer.The fact they are agreeing to mediation tells me you have some good facts and they want to resolve it fairly. I would strongly consider it here as it has little downside and may allow you compensation and resolution along the way.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.
Everything you want to know about mediation and EEOC https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/mediation/ Overall it is a good thing and you may want to take advantage of it. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Good luck with mediation and resolution.