Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

Can an employer legally require an employee to provide a criminal

Customer Question

Can an employer legally require an employee to provide a criminal arrest record from when the employee was a juvenile?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can an employer legally require an employee to provide a criminal arrest record from when the employee was a juvenile? I am in Colorado, and am in the process of applying to take the Series 7 exam with FINRA. I was charged with a felony when I was a juvenile, sentenced to juvenile diversion (just counseling), completed the counseling, and have a letter from the state saying my case is eligible for expungement. I have provided my employer with all of this information, they are still asking for a copy of the arrest record - do I have to provide them with it?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 months ago.
No. employee need not disclose this information and should seek to outright expunge. Employer may uncover on own in doing background check so best to proceed with expungement as soon as possible. Kindly let me know if fast and acceptable.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Can I clarify anything about the answer? Please type back and let me know.
Kindly rate me positively, and feel free to follow up!