Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

So i worked at innovita health solutions months and on

Customer Question

so i worked at innovita health solutions for 6 months and on friday they let me go they said they didnt need my services anymore and told me that they would pay me 2 weeks worth and that i was being let go on friday it was last minute and they gave other people a advance can a sue them ?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Can you tell me on what basis you think that you would have to sue your former employer? Were you in a union or have a contract that requires more than two weeks advance notice (which is what you were paid, correct)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i did not get any notice 2 weeks in advance and was let go on friday
Thank you, ***** ***** did not answer my initial question, which was what is it that you think you have a basis to sue for?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
im just seeing if there is a possible of suing
Alright, well, nothing in the few facts that you shared would indicate that your employer violated any law. First, in Texas, as in most states, employment is considered "at will" unless there is a term contract or bargaining agreement that states differently. That means that an employer may terminate an employee for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless doing so is motivated by discriminatory intent because of their gender, race, national origin, age (over 40), disability, religion, pregnancy or military service. So, unless you fall within the exceptions I mentioned, your employer can let you go without notice or reason. Although you mentioned that others received notice prior to termination and you did not, the payment of two weeks pay, which is not required by law, is actually the equivalent of two weeks notice, since you are paid for that period. But again, the employer has no duty to pay any wages beyond the last day of work. If you do think you falls within one of the exceptions, then you should sit down with a local employment law attorney and discuss your case in detail to determine if a contract you worked under was violated or you were targeted for termination based on discriminatory intent. Please feel free to ask for clarification. If none, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 25th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: you.