Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

My question; I was employed with one company (wkly Salary)

Customer Question

My question; I was employed with one company (wkly Salary) when i received a call from another company offering me better pay... I took the Offer , but after i completed my Orientation i never received the Pay that was told i wld receive... Not only that 2 months later my pay was cut dwn without consulting with me... After i complained about it i was sent home with no Pay and still waiting for them to call me back to work (3 wks later)... Is there anything i can do about this situation ? I gave up a good job to get Lied to by this Company .....
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. In employment law, unless you sign a contract of employment that expressly states that your terms of employment are guaranteed, fixed and cannot be altered without your consent, those terms are considered 'at will' and can legally be altered at any time, with or without cause. This is referred to as the at will employment doctrine, which your state holds to. Now, that being said, your state also considers numerous exceptions to that rule, including the "promissory estoppel" exception. That exception applies when an employer has made a promise which you reasonably relied on, to your detriment. In this case, you were made the promise of a certain rate of pay. It is not unreasonable to relied on the statement of pay from a recruiter. You relied on that state to your detriment, meaning you left a better paying and consistent job. On these facts, you have the elements of that sort of claim. The issue though is finding an attorney willing to take the claim for you. Most will, but they will charge an hourly fee. This sort of claim doesn't have the promise of a large payout at the end, so a contingency fee is an unlikely fee arrangement. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.