How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 115465
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a disabled veteran who has been with my company, a union

Customer Question

I am a disabled veteran who has been with my company, a union company, for 20 years with an excellent and high praised service. I haven't caused any problems and just did my job the best that I could. In January of 2016, I requested an accommodation under ADA, a simple fix, and was rejected(have letter of rejection. I am a Truck Driver for the Company and requested an automatic transmission type semi(the company has recently added them to our fleet), My doctor has signed off for an automatic to help reduce my dependence on medication for pain and Inflammation. not only will my company not make any effort to help,they have started calling and harassing me during my off time, Intimidating me, surprised me with an alcohol and drug screen, and flat out refusing me any access to an automatic. I am frightened of losing my job as I have 4 dependents to care for. Do I now need an Attorney before going to file a complaint with EEOC?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the company has automatic trucks in your fleet and you have documented a permanent disability and the automatic truck would allow you to perform your job, then the denial of that accommodation would be deemed unreasonable and a violation of the ADA.
You do not need an attorney to file a complaint with the ADA. The surprise tests would also be part of your claim, since that can be deemed retaliation and harassment. If your union is not assisting on this matter, your union is in breach of contract and committing an unfair labor practice for which you could also pursue a complaint against your union to the national labor relations board in addition to your ADA violation against your employer.