Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

A staff member who has been in good standing with a company

Customer Question

A staff member who has been in good standing with a company for several years, no poor performance appraisels or reprimands finds that she may be removed from her job, because the new executive director thinks she is not suited for her job based on the words of others (but not the person that has direct orversight of the program) and "his observations", although he is not familiar with the full rellm of this persons responsibilies. In that Ohio is an "at will state", what is her recourse for fighting to keep her job?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to assist you. You are correct that "at will" employment is an issue under these circumstances. Essentially, there's nothing that can be done to "force" the new executive director to keep the person in their position. But, if the staff member is willing, she can certainly meet with the executive director, allow him to get to know her/her job duties, etc., encourage her direct supervisor to explain her duties and her excellent performance to the executive director. Simultaneously, I would encourage her to start looking for a new position b/c it's *infinitely* easier to find a job when you already have one. I hope that helps. I wish I could give you a magic piece of information that you could use to prevent losing your job, but unfortunately there often isn't one. In an at will employment environment, barring discriminatory practices, employers and employees are free to separate themselves at will.
I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you DO have all of the information you need; please also let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.