Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Is it legal to record someone without their permission if

Customer Question

is it legal to record someone without their permission if they are making threats against you?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. California is what's known as a "two party consent state" when it comes to audio recordings. This means that both parties to the conversation must consent to it being recorded in order for such recording to be legal. California goes so far as to make it a crime to record someone without their consent, and imposes steep civil penalties against persons who violate this law. So, unfortunately, secret recordings are generally not an option when it comes to protecting yourself against someone that is making threats. I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.