Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

If we choose to go the "Deauthorize" route, will the union

Customer Question

If we choose to go the "Deauthorize" route, will the union stop our benefits and stop representing us after payments have stopped??? Are there any laws that protect us from this???
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please explain so that I am clear. Thank you
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 months ago.
HelloThis is Samuel.A deauthorization election has only one purpose and effect: to remove the forced-unionism clause from the contract. The remainder of the contract, including all wages and benefits, remains in effect and the union continues to serve as the exclusive bargaining representative, whether or not the employees pay any dues or fees. Even after a successful deauthorization, every employee remains fully covered by the contract, whether or not he or she remains a union member or pays any dues.Please see this LINK for more information in this regard.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this the same result in NY???
Yes, the purpose of the “deauthorization election” is to "deauthorize" the forced-unionism clause and remove it from the contract. However, it is only forprivate sector employees. It will not pertain to state or other public employees. And if that is the case, then you need to go through the Decertification process.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am a special officer that is my agency's title but I am a peace officer under the NY procedural law and I perform police duties and have police powers. What is your advice on getting the city to apply Local Law 56 to us. We do the similar functions as that of Correction Officers. So under the law we are supposed to have similar contracts as the corrections department, correct???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you familiar with forming a PBA??? If so can you explain the procedure???
I am not familiar with forming a PBA. I will opt out.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I asked 2 questions but you only answered one. Can you please answer my question about LL56 please.