Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

After being terminated, does an employer have an obligation

Customer Question

After being terminated, does an employer have an obligation to pay the employee vacation time?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Since there is no Federal or Florida law that requires the employer to offer paid vacation, whether they pay any unused accrued vacation out upon termination is up to the employer and their policies. If they have a written policy or contract that says they will, then they must follow that policy. If they don't, they can be sued for breach of contract in small claims court. If, on the other hand, they have no written policy or contract, they do not have a legal duty to pay it.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 22nd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.