ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can a employer firer an employee while on short term disai

Customer Question

can a employer firer an employee while on short term disaibity
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Short and long term disability is not protected leave. Your employer can still terminate your employment even if you're on disability. Now note that they can't terminate you because you filed for disability. But if for any other reason (economic, or they had to fill your position, etc...) then they could. Other laws could apply, such as FMLA (they can't terminate you if you're on medical leave, but that's only for 12 weeks, unpaid, and even then they could terminate for other reasons such as economic reasons, etc...). If you are terminated, you remain eligible for short term disability benefits until those benefits are exhausted. Because your disability occurred prior to the end of your employment, you may also be eligible to apply for long term disability benefits (assuming your employer offers long term disability benefits). This is true, even if you are terminated prior to the time when long term disability benefits would begin. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great help thank you very much
My pleasure. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.
Hello?
Again, please note that you have to click on the rating, on your screen, to give me credit and close out the question.
Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?
Can you see where you can rate it? It's 5 stars, which you click on the appropriate one. You might need to scroll up/down/right to see them...
Again, are you there? I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
Hello?
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
I see that you STILL have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!