Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator

I was put on 30 day probation with my employer and terminated

Customer Question

I was put on 30 day probation with my employer and terminated before the end of that period. I had weekly meetings with my supervisor and was told that I was meeting or exceeding all of the terms of probation, however, I was fired before the end of that time. Do I have any recourse?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Unless the basis of the termination is rooted in discrimination based on your race, gender, age (over ) or disability, then you do not have any recourse here, unfortunately. When you are employed at will (meaning no contract), then the employer can terminate you for any reason or no reason at all. They do not even have to keep you through a probationary period. If you think this is as a result of discrimination, then you can file a complaint with the EEOC and ultimately sue in federal court for damages and attorney fees if the discrimination is founded. I wish I had better news for you under the circumstances. Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments. If none, please rate my answer positively so I can receive credit for my response. Best wishes going forward!
Just checking to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward here. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I appears that I don't have any recourse. Thanks for your response.
I am sorry to hear that. This is an all too common occurrence as the employer has all of the power. Please don't forget to rate my answer positively as that is how I get recognition for providing an answer. Thank you and I wish the best!