Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I was not selected federal job interview on a military

Customer Question

I was not selected for a federal job interview on a military installation. The form letter that I received said that I was "out of the area for consideration".
I have been working in the posted position intermittently for the past four year and exclusively for the past 120 days.
When I inquired further, I was told by my current boss that I didn't get selected for a interview because I failed to upload my DD214, a military document.
I am not looking for them to hand me the position, I only want to be added to the referral list for an interview. If I am not the best qualified, then so be it. But to be denied completely because of one document it think, is a little excessive.
any suggestions?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 7 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Unfortunately, with job postings such as this one that have periods for application that open and close, if a person misses a component of the application, they are closed out. This is standard form with these types of jobs and is legally defensible. That said, you are not some random guy applying for the job. You have experience with this particular job. As such, there may be a way to work this to at least get you an interview (because the employer has the discretion to open it up, just as they have the discretion to keep it closed). I suggest that you call the Office of you Senator as well as your Representative in D.C. and explain the situation and ask for assistance in sitting for the interview. State that you are not looking for preferential treatment, just the opportunity to interview and not be excluded because of a simply mistake. Of course, explain that you have been doing this job already. I know this seems far fetched, but I have seen it work over and over in situations like this relative to government jobs as well as private sector jobs. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response. Best wishes going forward!
Just checking to make sure you received my response. Let me know. Thanks
Just checking to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward on this important issue. Thanks