Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I work company that is stealing from its customers. I

Customer Question

I work for a company that is stealing from its customers. I am considered an independent contractor and work from home. I am put in a position where I am also stealing from the customers on the companies behalf. I don't know what to do.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. If the company is committing actual illegal acts, then you need to file a complaint with the state attorney general and you turn them in for doing so. You do not have to commit illegal acts, you need to document them and if the employer tries to make you commit illegal acts you can refuse and if they fire you for it, then you can prove in unemployment you were justified and would be eligible for unemployment benefits.I would report them to the attorney general's office for these unfair and deceptive practices and turn over the evidence you have on them to the attorney general.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is going to come up again and what do I say to him?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am trying to find another job so I can leave.
Thank you for your reply.
Tell them simply you are giving the customer what they have paid for. If he wants to fire you for it, then let him do so and you would win. However, in the meantime I would anonymously send the evidence to the Attorney General and let the AG investigate the company.