Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

I work McDonald's franchise and recently they started

Customer Question

I work for a McDonald's franchise and recently they started a policy and they are suspending managers after 3 complaints meanwhile a lot of the problem are the crew people. managers are informing the agerenerla manager and supervisor and thye are still blaming the managers. I know Pennsylvania is a right to work state but is it legal for that to happen and can they fire you for it. I need any proof I can get.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. In employment law, an employer's right to suspend or terminate is not regulated strictly. By that, I mean that employers have very wide latitude when it comes to this matter. External laws don't restrict them in what can be the basis for a suspension or termination. If they have no contract or with our or policy clearly restricted what they can suspend someone for, then they have the right to suspend or terminate "at will." The only laws then that would stop them are laws concerning discrimination, but that is a very narrow view. You'd have to establish that the only reason the employer is suspending or terminating is your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA (medical leave) use. It would be your burden to prove that. So, on the very general facts you have given, the employer would legally be able to suspend or even terminate based on the complaints. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.