Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

What are my rights in asking my employer accommodations

Customer Question

What are my rights in asking my employer for special accommodations for a mental illness?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. An employer is only required to give reasonable accommodations. In some instances, there simply are not accommodations that can occur. For example, if an airline pilot goes blind, there really is no accommodation for that. The pilot can't fly and the airline isn't required to give them an entirely different job, as that is not a "reasonable" accommodation. So, your right is to request reasonable accommodations, make suggestions for those accommodations and have your employer engage in a dialogue to reach an accommodation, if possible. They should at least respond. If the employer is not doing that, then you have made your attempt and can go outside to the EEOC to file a complaint for failure of accommodation. Even if no accommodation could have been found, the employer's failure to even address the issue with you at this point is problematic. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.