Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert

I worked Company in Morton Illinois

Customer Question

I worked for Caterpillar Company in Morton Illinois for 21 years. Last week I was fired. I was called by the HR people and they told me that they did not need my services anymore and that I'll be receiving a letter with my benefits in the mail in two business days. They didn't orient me about my health insurance, retirement benefits accumulated or even if I had a severance package. Yesterday I went to pick up my medicines at the pharmacy and they told me I was out of the health insurance. Today I received the COBRA notice where they say I need to pay $1,500.00 a month if I want to keep my insurance without any grace period. Until today i don't even have a letter of termination so I can go to the unemployment office to start my unemployment benefits. I went today to talk to HR and they didn't even received. This is just the last week. I have several other issues that happen that I cannot say if they are illegal or not.Should i hire a lawyer?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. There doesn't appear to be any issues yet that would require a lawyer. You are still within the time limit on COBRA so that you can continue your benefits. While they should have told you about COBRA when they told you that you were fired, since you did get a letter then the days to enroll in it will start on the date of the letter. You don't really have to have a letter of termination to apply for unemployment benefits. You can apply and then they will confirm with the employer. You can also take the COBRA letter and give them a copy of it for your file since that also confirms that you were terminated. There is no law stating that you are entitled to severance pay and if you do receive any then you have to "exhaust it" before you start drawing unemployment benefits.