Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I have an employee (part time non-exempt) that has always said he was leaving summ

Customer Question

I have an employee (part time non-exempt) that has always said he was leaving for the summer for an internship in canada (he's worked here 4 1/2 months and I 3 1/2 mo.). He verbally notified me that he accepted an internship and was leaving end of May and that he applied to UCLA so if he got in he'd be going there after summer but was able to work during the holidays (our busiest time). So I spoke with a previous volunteer at my last job who does the same job as he (database and donor management) and discussed her taking his place via text. No paperwork, job descriptions or offer letters have been given but I did say that she could come work and start training with current employee on May 18th for $15 an hour. Yesterday I told the current employee that I had his replacement hired and that he'd commence training on the 18th. He announced that he didn't get into UCLA so he was now cancelling his internship. Am I now on the hook for both?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. An employer generally has the right to terminate an employee FOR ANY REASON. The only reasons one cannot be fired for are:-PUBLIC POLICY (discrimination based on race, religion, creed, etc; or, a retaliatory termination due to a claim made by an employee); or-CONTRACT POLICY (if one has a contract that disallows such a termination)-COVENANT OF GOOD FAITH (firing an employee to avoid paying a benefit, for example) Otherwise, an employer can terminate for any reason, without notice. It can be based on a mistake. As such, someone in your situation is free to simply tell that original employee that their position has been terminated. There is no mandate to allow them to continue to be employed. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.