Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can a veteran who is entitled to 10 points veterans preference

Customer Question

Can a veteran who is entitled to 10 points veterans preference apply to an announcement open to "statue nationwide" under merit promotion program use the late applications filling Law. Please see the message below:
Veterans' point preferences under the competitive appointment process do not apply in the merit promotion process. Perkins, 100 M.S.P.R. at 51. Congress has provided, however, that "for all merit promotion announcements . . . veterans . . . are eligible to apply."5 U.S.C. §§ 3304(f)(3)-(4). Veterans "may not be denied the opportunity to compete for vacant positions for which the agency making the announcement will accept applications from individuals outside its own workforce under merit promotion procedures."5 U.S.C. § 3304(f)(1). Congress further provided, however, that the latter provision does not "confer an entitlement to veterans' preference that is not otherwise required by law."5 U.S.C. § 3304(f)(3).
Basically can you file late, but not use the veterans points in merit promotion announcements. Just use the entitlement to file late?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Yes, you can. See the link below for more information: https://www.fedshirevets.gov/faqs/index.aspx Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.