Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law

I received a letter from a former employer in Virginia demanding

Customer Question

I received a letter from a former employer in Virginia demanding repayment for wages overpaid in 2014. At the time of the direct deposit I suspected it was a mistake, reached out to my former employer and stated so. It turns out my former boss never submitted my termination paperwork to payroll. I provided the information and everything they requested to confirm I had given notice. I followed up with payroll and never heard back from anyone again. I filled and paid taxes on that money and it has been 2 years since the overpayment. What are my options?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Such as?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Employment Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight. I would ignore the letter.I cannot promise you that they will not sue you for it here but I think it is highly unlikely.There was employee error here that caused this situation.It was not of your doing. You can respond here but I think you consider staying silent and seeing if this quietly passes.If they sue you raise the fact issues here that the employee was the one that made the error and you paid taxes on it as well. I am not at all sure they could prevail on the facts if they did sue here.I think I would be quiet and take your chances this is strictly a bluff to see if you will pay them back.I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.