Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I was hired to work a 40 hr week Monday thru Friday and lately

Customer Question

I was hired to work a 40 hr week Monday thru Friday and lately I have been made to work almost every weekend for several months as well as additional shifts, I am not asked but told I will do it. Is this legal.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. While understandably quite frustrating, this is generally legal as employers retain the freedom to change the terms of employment, including schedules, at any time for virtually any reason. The fact you are not asked but "ordered," while indicative of poor management, does not convert this into illegal conduct. Employers are free to require things of their employees as a condition of further employment. You are certainly free to refuse, but by refusing you will not gain any special job protection and your employer would be able to replace you with someone who can meet the needs of their business. I'm afraid your only option here is to negotiate--perhaps a raise of some sort, or perhaps some reasonable limitations on your schedule moving forward. If this fails, all you can do is start looking for a job where more reasonable demands are placed on you. I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Was there anything else I can do to assist you?
Can you please let me know if you are receiving my messages? We have been having some technical difficulties with the site lately....