RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

This is in addition to my earlier question. Many of my past

Customer Question

This is in addition to my earlier question. Many of my past coworkers were terminated with severance packages and that is really what I would like to see happen for me. How can I encourage my employer to offer me a severance package?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. As you may already know, there is no state or federal law that requires an employer give you severance pay. Absent a contract or union agreement that requires, it, no matter what you say, you may not be able to persuade an employer to pay severance.Since many co-workers were given a severance package, I would try to show your employer the similarities between their jobs and yours and why you too should be offered severance. For example, perhaps you worked around the same amount of time with the company. Perhaps you took on similar job duties, or even more job duties as these co-workers. I would also highlight your accomplishments within the organization - if for example, you headed up a big project, or were promoted to a supervisory position while working there. The idea is to show your employer the benefits you gave them, and that much like your co-workers, you too are deserving of severance. By the way, there's no set rule of what's fair - a loose rule of thumb would be about 1 week of severance per year of work on the job, more if you were a higher level executive.If you need clarification or additional information about this matter, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.
If you need clarification or additional information regarding this question, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts on this site such as myself are paid for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. Thank you.