KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

Halfway through the year of 2015, the radio station I work

Customer Question

Halfway through the year of 2015, the radio station I work for was bought by new owners. The owners from the first part of the year never sent me a 1099 form for the commission I was paid.  The second part of the year owners finally gave me a 1099 for my earnings but not until April 7th 2016. What should I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.
Good morning. You have two options with regards ***** ***** commissions. If you have a record of how much you were paid you could still file your taxes by combining both amounts, the 1099 and the commissions not included on the 1099. You would have to state the non 1099 commissions as other income on your schedule C. The other option would be to call your states Department of Labor and employment and file a complaint about the old owner and the non issuance of the 1099. However, that takes time and if you want to file by April 18 deadline, you should file with part 1099 and part other income. If the IRS ever asks you, you have your bank records to prove the part of the income not reported on the 1099. I hope this helps.