John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My employer said I was subcontractor and Florida laws did

Customer Question

My employer said I was subcontractor and Florida laws did not have the same laws, but I did not agree to this.He frist said I was to get 60% of the gross that I made then changes it to 50% and took out half of all his expence, I was to do all exams in Bay Country and he was to do the exams out of town. He was gone for six weeks and I had to take up his part of work, I had 440 miles I drove to do five exams he said he would not pay for the used of my car or time. Please let me know about this I am going to file in small claim court.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
If you are in the truest legal definition of the word an"independent contractor" and you have an agreement that does not dictate you get mileage or does not dictate exactly what % of gross and expenses you are to receive, then you are stuck with this arrangement or can quit.But I suspect there is a bigger issue in your matter, which is one of employment misclassification. The misclassification of employees as something other than employees, such as independent contractors, presents a seriousproblem for affected employees, employers, and to the entire economy.Misclassified employees are often denied access to critical benefits and protections – such as family and medical leave, overtime, minimum wage,workers compensation and unemployment insurance – to which they are entitled. Employee misclassification also generates substantial losses to the Treasury and the Social Security and Medicare funds, as well as to state unemployment insurance and workers compensation funds. Some states, but Texas is not one of them, have teamed up with the IRS and Department of Labor to crack down on violating employers – the penalties can be significant. Generally, if you are working for only one employer and your economic future is depdent on that one employer – you are an employee; not an independent contractor; this is regardless of whether you signed an independent contractor agreement with the employer. Ask yourself the following questions if you answer yes to more than a few you are probably an employee and entitled to a lot of extra benefits and pay. 1. your employer exercises control over the manner you complete a job(when, where, how you do the work);2. you usually work under supervision;3. you work for the employer month after month or year after year instead of completing a job when the contract period ends;4. your employer or co-worker trains you to perform a job in a certain way and you learn your job from watching experienced employees, or attend meetings or courses;5. you must complete the tasks assigned to you, and cannot hire assistants to perform the work you were hired to do;6. your job and work are part of the daily operations of the business and your assignments are coordinated with other employees in the company, and the success of the business depends upon that work being done. For example, an office clerical worker is probably an employee because his work is coordinated with supervisors and other staff members, while an AC repairman hired by a restaurant to fix the AC unit is probably an independent contractor because during and after that project, he will have little or no interaction with any of the other employees (cooks, bartenders, waitresses, etc.);7. your services are for the most part available only to the employer and not to the general public;8. you are an integral part of the employer's business and rarely, if ever,offer your services to someone other than your employer;9. your employer sets your schedule instead of coming and going as you please;10. you must work at the employer's place of business, or at another location determined by the employer;11. your employer pays you on a set schedule in regular amounts by the hour or salary;12. your employer determines the order in which you must complete certain jobs,especially if the same outcome could be achieved by doing the tasks in a different order;13. your employer gives you materials and tools needed to complete the job;14. you typically work for one company instead of several customers at the same time.Let me know your responses to these.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require furtherassistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question tothe best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledgeand experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.