Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

My manager pulled me into the office the other day and gave

Customer Question

My manager pulled me into the office the other day and gave me an ultimatum. I was hired full time as a front desk day clerk, and she gave me the option to take night audit, or resign. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Unless you are in a union and work under a bargaining agreement, you are considered an "at will" employee. That means that your employer can threaten or carry out a demotion, change in duties, terminate you, or give you an ultimatum, if they deem it appropriate. The only other exception to that rule of law is that an employer may not target an employee for an adverse employment action simply because of that employee's gender, race, national origin, disability, religion, age (over 40), pregnancy or military service. So, unless your situation falls within one of the exceptions I mentioned, their action, even though arguably poor management or unfair, would be legal. If you believe your situation falls within one of the exceptions, then your first step must be to file a formal complaint with your HR Department. If they cannot resolve the issue, then you will want to sit down with a local employment law attorney to discuss the facts of your employment situation in detail to determine what your next step might be. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.
Contact customer service and they should be able to hide it.