Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator

I have an exempt HR Manager within her 90 days probationary

Customer Question

I have an exempt HR Manager within her 90 days probationary period , not time allowed off. She wants to leave early tomorrow at 2:30 for personal reasons, do I need to pay her for the day?
JA: The Employment Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: what information do you need?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Employment Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I am in NJ in case that makes a difference. If I must pay her for an 8 hour day can I require her to make up the time?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. Since she is an exempt employee, you have the option of not paying her, since she is salaried, but within the 90 day probationary period, wherein you have established policy and precedent that you are not allowed time off. You need to notify her in writing (email is fine) if you grant this leave request that pursuant to the policy in the 90 day probationary period, she will be docked for the hours of work she misses on that day. The reason to document is nothing more than to protect yourself down the line. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my response. Best wishes going forward!
Just checking to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks