Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

My boss has not been sticking to his work about a bonus he

Customer Question

My boss has not been sticking to his work about a bonus he was supposed to pay me and told me to not come in this week because business is slow and advised him to take his 3 vacation days so he good get a check still. Also he has been over charging customers
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. In employment law, unless you have a contractual right a bonus, the employer's word or promise is not sufficient to create a legal right to one. One then wouldn't be entitled to the bonus until it was actually paid. Being told to not come in is legally fine. The employer can require an employee to take vacation to cover that time off, if the employee wants a check. The employee could also file for unemployment due to lack of work for that same period of time. Finally, as for the issue of overcharging customers, that's not something that gives an employee a cause of action...only the customers. So, this fact doesn't really help in this discussion. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What I'm really trying to figure it out is what I can do as far as me being the mechanic and it takes a job 5 hours to do but then he adds on two or three extra labor hours because business is slow. I can continue to work for a business that does this to its customers
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's to unethical
I agree. What you can do is write a statement to the employer stating that you feel this is unethical and if it continues you'll be forced to quit. The reason for doing this is to set up them either terminating you in anger (which allows you unemployment), or when they don't change the behavior, you can then quit and argue for unemployment. That's all you can do in this situation though.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.