Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I work in a Pizza place. The cash box is short. I am told I

Customer Question

I work in a Pizza place. The cash box is short. I am told I am responsible for being short. However, everyone has access to the register. Am I responsible for the loss?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. The employer can certainly require that you pay it back or lose the job. That is based on the concept of "at will" employment, where an employee can be terminate at any time, with or without cause. That does not mean though that you are legally liable. So, the employer can't just take the money away from you if you don't agree to pay it. They'd need a court order to do that. So, you can refuse to pay, but you'll likely lose the job but keep the money unless they can prove to a court that you owe it. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.