Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.

Can I get fired from work if I don't show up days

Customer Question

Can I get fired from work if I don't show up for 2 days
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have recently Ben with a girlfriend who kicked me out of the house last week and was going to have an abortion and I did not want that so on Tuesday I asked my boss if I can leave early to take care of the situation to try to keep her from having an abortion and try to fix my situation with her because it put me down in depression mode and then came Wednesday and Thursday I found out where she was going to have the abortion so I wanted to stop her from getting an abortion and none of that I was just still depressed about it so I showed up to work on Friday and my boss told me to you know I have two o'clock then he said to clock out and go back home so I came back to work again today and he said the same thing after I clocked in then I have to clock back out and to take another day off today so I'm thinking that he's trying to get me to be fired so can he technically do that
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately, unauthorized absence from work, as scheduled, is lawful grounds for termination for cause. So, yes, your boss can fire you for cause if you fail to show up to work, as scheduled.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.