Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer

After receiving my right to sue papers from EEOC Can I file

Customer Question

After receiving my right to sue papers from EEOC
Can I file complaint claim with the federal court by myself without an attorney and if so does the claim have to be in detail or do I just have state basically or mainly just the claim of discrimination the retaliation claim how I feel they retaliated which I also have a question about as far as the retaliation claim goes to finish this question do I have to go into detail near me all the people involved on each claim as far as Witnesses or do I just have to basically mean people I feel responsible for the actions also can I nada details as far as for example the witnesses time frames yada yada can I all those details after I submit the claim with just the mean things with lacking detail get an attorney where does it need to be in full complete 100% detail with all dates Witnesses you got up doesn't need all of that in it for the initial complaint to be filed? another question being as far as the retaliation part pf the claim goes do I have to decide and go where 1 of the Discrimination charges of the three that I am complaining about do I have to deside which one I feel personally feel they fired me for or the targeting discriminated charge of the 3 i listed or can i deside thatlater as well after i send in my claim .. I'm asking this because I am desperate to get it turned in and meet the deadline and that deadline is today or tomorrow
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You do not need a lawyer to file a Complaint in federal court. The Complaint only needs to be "a short and plain statement" of the facts giving rise to the cause of action. Fed. R. Civ. P. 8. That includes a sentence stating why you're filing in the appropriate court.The Complaint must also state what relief you're asking for (an injunction, reinstatement, attorney's fees, punitive damages, etc.) Witnesses are not listed in the Complaint. You're allowed to allege both discrimination and retaliation - you don't have to pick one.

You have the ability to amend the Complaint later if you want to hire a lawyer to add more detail after you get the case opened. See Rule 15. But a reasonable person has to be able to read the original complaint and feel like, if every word is true, you're more likely than not entitled to the relief you're asking for. Make sure there are enough facts to meet that standard.

It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.